50 free Channel Islands National Park trivia questions with answers — geography quiz, new questions added Aug 2026.
This Channel Islands National Park trivia quiz covers the five islands off the Southern California coast (Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, San Miguel and Santa Barbara) that make up the park often called North America's Galápagos. Questions cover the endemic island fox and island scrub jay, the pygmy mammoths that swam out to the ancient super-island of Santa Rosae, Arlington Springs Man, the Chumash and their plank canoes, and the sea caves, kelp forests and seabird colonies. History covers Cabrillo's 1542 voyage and probable grave, the sheep and cattle ranches, Justinian Caire's winery and private telephone system, the last lighthouse built on the California coast, the wreck of the Winfield Scott, the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill, the 1938 monument and 1980 park, the Nature Conservancy's share of Santa Cruz and the golden eagle crisis that nearly wiped out the foxes. Questions run from easy to expert with the difficulty shown on each one. Every answer was checked against a reference page and each question carries its citation. If you enjoy this one, try our US National Parks quiz next.
30 of 50 questions with answers and explanations. Play the quiz
Q 01Channel Islands National Park lies off the coast of which US state?
California
The islands stretch along the Southern California coast from Point Conception to San Pedro; headquarters and the visitor center are in Ventura.
Q 02How many of the eight Channel Islands are in the national park?
Five
Anacapa, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Miguel and Santa Rosa; Catalina, San Nicolas and San Clemente are not.
Q 03What is the highest point on Santa Cruz Island, the largest island in the park?
Devils Peak
It rises 2,429 feet on an island 22 miles long; the 2000 census counted a population of two.
Q 04What share of Santa Cruz Island is owned by The Nature Conservancy, not the Park Service?
The western 76 percent
The Conservancy inherited the ranch lands when Carey Stanton died in 1987 and quickly ended the cattle era.
Q 05Which two islands were first protected as a national monument in 1938?
Anacapa and Santa Barbara
The other three joined them when the national park was created; UNESCO had made all eight islands a biosphere reserve in 1976.
Q 06In which year was Channel Islands National Park established?
1980
A marine sanctuary protects the waters six nautical miles around the park.
Q 07The endemic island fox, found on six of the Channel Islands, evolved from which larger mainland ancestor?
Grey fox
It is the smallest fox in North America, about the size of a housecat, and probably arrived with people around 7,000 years ago; each island has its own subspecies.
Q 08What drove island fox numbers on San Miguel from 450 adults to just 15 between 1994 and 1999?
Predation by golden eagles
The eagles moved in after DDT wiped out the fish-eating bald eagles and feral pigs offered prey; four subspecies were listed as endangered in 2004.
Q 09Why is there no island fox on Anacapa?
It has no reliable fresh water
Santa Barbara Island lacks foxes too, being simply too small to feed a viable population.
Q 10For roughly how long has the island scrub jay, found only on Santa Cruz Island, been evolving in isolation?
About a million years
It is the only insular endemic land-bird species in the continental US and Canada, and once lived on the neighbouring islands when they were one landmass.
Q 11How many species found in the park exist nowhere else in the world?
145
More than 2,000 plant and animal species live in the park, but only three land mammals are native, among them the spotted skunk and the fox.
Q 12The pygmy mammoth of the northern Channel Islands stood how tall at the shoulder?
About 5.6 to 6.6 feet
That is about 17 percent the size of its Columbian mammoth ancestor, which swam over when sea levels were low; it vanished about 13,000 years ago.
Q 13What was the name of the single large island the four northern islands formed during the last ice age?
Santa Rosae
With sea levels 400 feet lower it lay about 5 miles offshore; there was never a land bridge, so the mammoths swam.
Q 21What was Anacapa's Chumash name, Anyapax, said to mean?
Mirage or illusion
The island is really three narrow islets six miles long; wave action split it in recent prehistoric times.
Q 22What is Arch Rock on East Anacapa?
A 40-foot natural bridge
It is the islet's best-known feature and a favourite for photographers arriving on the ferry.
Q 23The East Anacapa Island Light, finished in 1932, holds what distinction?
Last one the Lighthouse Service built on the California coast
Q 14Roughly what share of the pygmy mammoth skeleton found on Santa Rosa Island in 1994 was recovered?
About 90 percent
The 50-year-old male lay in life position where it died near Carrington Point; the bones went to a museum on the mainland.
Q 15Arlington Springs Man, found on Santa Rosa Island in 1959, is significant as what?
The earliest dated adult human in North America
About 13,000 years old, he supports the idea that the first Americans came down the Pacific coast; his remains were reburied by the Chumash in 2022.
Q 16Who found the Arlington Springs bones in 1959, reportedly while trying to free a stuck jeep?
Phil C. Orr
The Santa Barbara Museum curator spotted a femur eroding 37 feet down a canyon wall; heiress Kitty Harvey had funded the expedition.
Q 17Roughly how many Chumash lived on the northern islands when the Spanish arrived?
Two to three thousand
They had eleven villages on Santa Cruz, eight on Santa Rosa and two on San Miguel; the last islanders were moved to mainland missions in the 1820s.
Q 18The Chumash crossed the channel in a distinctive sewn-plank canoe called what?
Tomol
It let them catch swordfish in deep water; a modern one, named for the hawk, was launched in 1976 and paddled round the islands.
Q 19Which European explorer first recorded the islands in 1542?
Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo
He was sailing for Spain, though whether he was Portuguese or Spanish is still argued; his ships spent weeks around the islands.
Q 20Which British navigator named San Miguel Island on his 1793 chart, borrowing from a Spanish map?
George Vancouver
The 1542 explorer had died on the island and is thought by many to be buried there; sheep ranchers ran it from 1850 to 1948.
Coast Guard crews of six served two-year tours from 1939; the station was automated in 1962 and the Park Service moved into the houses in 1970.
Q 24Which sidewheel steamer struck the rocks off Middle Anacapa at full speed in December 1853?
SS Winfield Scott
Everyone aboard survived and was rescued a week later; divers can still visit the wreck, and its cargo may have brought the first ship rats.
Q 25Before rats were eradicated from Anacapa in 2001–02, what share of Scripps's murrelet nests were being attacked?
More than 96 percent
The seabird's largest breeding colony is on tiny Santa Barbara Island; the ship rats had been on Anacapa since at least 1907.
Q 26Santa Barbara Island, the smallest and southernmost of the eight, covers roughly how much area?
About one square mile
Its high point, Signal Hill, is 634 feet; it hosts a big sea lion rookery and the largest Scripps's murrelet colony.
Q 27The 14-mile ranger-led hike to Point Bennett on San Miguel rewards walkers with what?
Thousands of elephant seals and sea lions
Except for the trail from Cuyler Harbor to the campground, hiking on San Miguel is limited to ranger outings; the island's caliche forest is another draw.
Q 28Santa Rosa Island is one of only two places in the world where which rare tree grows wild?
Torrey pine
About 1,000 of the island variety survive; the only other stand is near San Diego.
Q 29Vail & Vickers sold Santa Rosa Island to the government in 1986 for roughly how much?
Nearly $30 million
They had objected to inclusion in the park; a 1996 settlement ended hunting and ranching, and only one steer remained by 1998.
Q 30Justinian Caire's 1880s Santa Cruz Island ranch included what unusual asset?
The largest private telephone system in the US
He also planted a 200-acre vineyard whose winery was maturing 86,000 gallons by 1895, and ran a post office from 1895 to 1903.